Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ode to the amazing Jen Z

My good and dear friend Jen Z will be leaving our place of employment today and I’m trying not to think about tomorrow when I walk over to her cube and find her chair empty. Like normal, I’m sure I’ll have something silly to tell her as she not only has the tolerance for such frivolity, but an enthusiasm for it (we’re kinda like Sponge Bob and Patrick in that way). She will be gone and I’m sure to be sad…but I need to remind myself not to be too sad. And I need to remind her too.

First of all, she’ll still be around. After a month of out-of-state training, she’ll be back, working from home and not too far away.

Second, fate may have just lead her to the job she was put on the earth to do. Ever passionate about animals, she’s landed a marketing job with PETA that gives her the opportunity to channel that passion through her considerable skill set. Making an impact on something of personal importance and making that your life’s work is the Holy Grail of employment opportunities and I can think of no one more deserving of that chance.

Finally, Jen is the kind of friend you just don’t let go of. Distance and circumstance may separate, but our are paths our permanently entwined.

You might be wondering what forges this kind of connection and the truth is, I’m not sure, but I know it when I feel it. I do feel compelled, however, to share some of the things about Jen that I find amazing. So without further adieu:

Don’s Surely Incomplete List of 15 or So Amazing Things About Jen Z:

1) Jen is the analog version of Friendster
I know of nobody who has the ability to recognize the beauty in a person and connect with them both deeply and instantaneously. She’s surrounded by amazing people, which should be no surprise as she is one herself.

2) Her mom can drink me under the table

(I don’t know that for sure, she actually only had one beer.)

3) She rocks thrift store clothes like no other
Actually all her clothes rock. She has an adventurous sense of funky style…especially the yellow pants. Design on a dime that looks like a kajillion bucks. So cool.

4) She’s got the best grazing in the office
What am I going to do without the raspberry dark chocolate? The avocado on melba toast? The dried whatever fruit? I know, I know….back to the vending machine. Sigh.

5) Kitty cats like her

6) She’s crazy athletic, and I do mean crazy
When the rest of us are whining and complaining that the weather sucks, Jen is out there running…up the hill, through the muck, in the rain, through the sewage, around the mountain lions, over the landslides, completely soaked to the bone and always with a smile on her face. I’m such a wuss.

7) She is a Superhero…two, in fact


8) She makes cool custom wallets...
out of magazines and contact paper. Mine has a flying guy on the outside, a close up of French fries on the ID pocket and a map of Chicago for the liner.

9) Jen knows all the good massuses

10) She was the first one to send me Lazy Sunday
And this too.

12) She sends me emails like this:
"Consider it an indicator of my feelings of closeness and trust of you... … that I am even ASKING to borrow the nailclippers that you (hopefully) keep at work! (my fingernails have grown to an unbelievably annoying length in one day, I swear.) "

13) Jen is not afraid to have fun.

14) She makes great snacks (even when it's vegan)


15) She's so money and she don't even know it!

And so this is not a goodbye, but a farewell in the literal sense. May you fare well Jen, much love sister.

4/20/06 UPDATE - Click here or on the pic for photos of last night's festivities!


3 comments:

Summer Pierre said...

How do I love this post? Let me count the ways!
1. It is 100% TRUE.
2. Jenny Sue is the SHIZZLE and the world now KNOWS IT.
3. Don P. wrote it and who else could make me want to jump through the computer screen and SQUUEZE a blog entry?

jennysue said...

duuuuudes - no YOU BE THE SHIZZLYEST!!!! don - i was dry-eyed today until this. it completely knocked me out. how is it that i get the most creative, eloquent, generous and kind friends in existence?!?! again & again!?!!?!?! THANK YOU GODS!!! and thank you don p. i want to print this out and frame it (but i'm not sure how); it means so much to me. you are IN my heart, amigo - there's no getting out. xoxo i'll miss you so much! :(

Anonymous said...

8) She makes cool custom wallets...

Does she sell these?! I want to know.

~ lou