Monday, June 26, 2006

Shamrocks on fire

I had a dream the other night that my high school had burnt down, the result of an unattended laptop computer getting too hot. While I know many people who would cheer such a thing, I wouldn’t be one of them. And although the fact that St. Pat’s is an all-boys, Catholic high school, I can say from experience that it rises above the clichéd baggage piled upon such institutions (plus there was an all girl’s school down the street with lots of nubile plaid-skirted lasses to keep us from going nuts). In short, I loved my high school experience—so much so that I actually returned after college and worked there for five years.

But back to the fire…upon waking after the dream, I hurried on the internet and found that St. Patrick still stands and the only thing that caught fire was the Shamrock baseball team who rallied from a lackluster 15-18 regular season, to go on a tear that would take them all the way to the Illinois State High School Championship Game. While they lost the title game, state runner-up is a remarkable result for a team that finished eighth in conference with a 4-14 record.

So my high school hasn’t burned down, but I’m hoping for another fire dream come water polo season.

No comments: